Monday, August 24, 2009

Put it on the board - Matty takes Red

Pack your bags we're goin to camp.

This household, for one, is eager to see what happens this Thursday night during Team Canada's Red vs. White game.

Now, since I got on the topic first...I get first pick. I take the Reds...Put it on the board Dewey, the Reds will dominate when the puck drops Thursday.

And why you might ask??? Because they'll need to. Take a peak at the Team Red line-up and you'll see a whole whack of guys who are sitting on the bubble, or who as of yet are on the outside looking in when it comes to a roster spot this winter.

For quick reference, this is how I have "Team Red" lining up:

Goaltenders:

(Starter) Roberto Luongo
(Back-up) Cam Ward

Defensive Pairs:

1 - Chris Pronger & Dan Boyle
2 - Dion Phaneuf & Robyn Regehr
3 - Brent Seabrook & Drew Doughty
4 - Dan Hamhuis & Stéphane Robidas

Forward lines:

1 - Jeff Carter & Eric Staal & Milan Lucic
2 - Corey Perry & Vincent Lecavalier & Patrick Sharp
3 - Ryan Smyth & Joe Thornton & Patrick Marleau
4 - Dan Cleary & Jason Spezza & Derek Roy

It's pretty safe to say, at least I'll say it, that Spezza is a long shot for the final cut. But I also think that there is just not enough room for all three of E. Staal, Lecavalier and Thornton either. Especially considering that Carter is a Centre-iceman himself. Should be interesting to see how they make out at camp.

I think that both Lucic and Perry can do themselves a lot of good with a strong camp and a strong scrimmage against the likes of Crosby and Iginla, but in the end, I think the two of them are fighting for the same spot, and may be both on the outside looking in.

Either way, I take the Reds (only times I'll ever cheer for a team names the Reds) in a 6-5 victory. Lucic with the winner at 18:54 of the third, on a pass from a streaking Staal.

Put it on the board.

WHAMMO!!

No comments:

Post a Comment