Tuesday, June 30, 2009

"My Life in Hockey"...the next chapter

You can chalk this one up to pure class. Jean Belliveau, "Le Gros Bill" will serve as honorary captain of Canada's twentyten Olympic Hockey team, and I don't think there is anyone in the country who could fathomably shake their head at this one.

My mother has long told me that growing up, she routinely listened to her father (my late grand-dad) talk with the utmost respect and admiration about the man who led the Canadiens to 10...yes 10 Stanley Cup victories. I, in fact, had the priveledge to meet Belliveau, oh....I'm gonna put it at 13 or 14 years ago, when he was in Fredericton signing autographs for his book, "My Life in Hockey". I still have that photo of me with Belliveau, as well as the signed book in my room in Fredericton, and I still treasure the opportunity to have met one of Canada's classiest historical figures. It's a worthwhile read for anyone who's even a marginal fan.

We all know of how former Prime Minister Jean Cretien tried to have Belliveau installed as both a Senator and Governor General, only to have the dignified giant of Canadian culture respectfully decline. But somehow, Stevie Y and co. was able to entice the legend into the fold.

I like it. I hope they can still find a place for Joe Sakic as well...who know's, that may be on the ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment